Providing information and resources for self-representation

Passports with parental consent

Applying with parental consent

If one parent cannot go with the child, that parent can give the other parent permission by filling out a “Statement of Consent”  (form DS-3053). The parent that cannot go with the child must sign form DS-3053 in front of a certified notary public.

  • The applying parent must then turn in the passport application along with the statement of consent.
  • This form must have a copy of the front and back of the ID the other parent presented to the notary.
Applying as a non-parent

If neither parent is able to appear in person to apply for the passport, a caregiver or other third party may apply for the passport if they submit a notarized statement from both parents giving that caregiver permission to apply for the child.

Note: Written authorization from the parent that cannot appear in person must not be older than 90 days.