Providing information and resources for self-representation

Temporary options for non-parents


If you are seeking temporary custody or guardianship of a minor who is not your biological child, there are a few options available in Gwinnett County.

School Enrollment and General Access

Effective September 1, 2018, Georgia law expands a parent’s right to appoint a caregiver for 1 year or less by executing a Power of Attorney. This document empowers the person caring for a child to enroll the child in school, obtain medical services and other access on behalf of a child. No Court action or filing fee is required. Click here to download the Power of Attorney for care of a Minor Child.

Visit our School Enrollment page for more information for registering your child in a Georgia school.

Probate Guardianship

Temporary Letters of Guardianship may be issued to a guardian who has been designated by the child’s parents.


Gwinnett County Probate Court

75 Langley Drive

Lawrenceville, Georgia

(770) 822-8250

  • Child is a resident of Georgia for the past six months or longer;
  • Parents’ consent (both parents, or the unwed mother’s consent if there is no prior custody determination);
  • The Court may waive the filing fees
Petition for Temporary Guardianship – Minor Child


A petition for dependency may be filed with the Juvenile Court’s intake department. The Department of Family and Children Services (DFCS) will be involved in conducting a home study and other services as directed by the Court. Background checks of the petitioner and other occupants in the home are usually required.


Gwinnett County Juvenile Court

115 Stone Mountain St. 

Lawrenceville, GA 30046

(770) 619-6300

  • Cannot obtain parents’ consent
  • Child has been abused, abandoned, or in need of the Court’s services
  • Some other emergency exists and the child needs protection
  • Child’s residency for six months is not necessary if there is an emergency involved
Juvenile Court Petition for Dependency