Providing information and resources for self-representation

Requesting a fee waiver

Posted by Sherlyn Selassie at 11:22 am on August 15, 2019

If you are unable to afford the filing fee to start your case, you may seek permission from the court to proceed without the filing fee. This is called “indigent,” or “pauper’s” status. Generally, permission to file as an indigent person will be based on the Federal Poverty Guidelines. This form must be signed before a notary, indicating you are submitting the information under oath.

Indigent status will cover the following costs:
Costs not covered by indigent status:
  • Court reporter
  • Discovery/subpoena copy costs
  • Private process service
  • Witness fees
  • Any other litigation cost not controlled by the court

Affidavit of Indigence and Eligibility to Proceed In Forma Pauperis