Providing information and resources for self-representation

Emergency or special reason

If you have an emergency or special reason why  the other parent cannot sign the papers you can fill out a “Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances” (Form DS-5525).

“Exigent circumstances” include time sensitive emergencies that could jeopardize the health or welfare of the child. “Special family circumstances” may include those in which the other parent cannot be located and/or the child’s family situation makes it exceptionally difficult for one or both parents to sign the passport application.

Once you submit Form DS-5525, the Department of State will review your statement regarding your circumstances and make a decision as to whether an exception should be made in your case.

Tips for applying for a child’s passport without consent