Providing information and resources for self-representation

Contested legitimation

If your spouse will not agree to sign an Acknowledgment of Service, then you must have him or her personally served with a copy of the Summons and Petition for Legitimation. The forms packet you need to complete is:

Legitimation Packet


You may file a contested legitimation in Gwinnett County if:

  1. The mother/guardian lives in Gwinnett County; or
  2. You and your child live in Gwinnett County.

You will need a Sheriff’s Entry of Service Form, which is a 3-part carbon copy available at the Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center.

Instructions for service by Gwinnett County Sheriff

Instructions for sheriff service outside of Gwinnett

What if the mother/guardian is avoiding service?

Instructions for private process server