Providing information and resources for self-representation

Contested Divorce without minor children

If your spouse will not agree to sign an Acknowledgment of Service, then you must have him or her personally served with a copy of the Summons and Complaint for Divorce.

You may file a contested divorce in Gwinnett County if:

  1. Your spouse lives in Gwinnett County; or
  2. You and your spouse last lived together in Gwinnett County withing the past 6 months before filing your divorce.

You will need a Sheriff’s Entry of Service Form, which is a 3-part carbon copy available at the Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center.

Instructions for service by Gwinnett County Sheriff

Instructions for sheriff service outside of Gwinnett

What if my spouse is avoiding service?

Instructions for private process server

What forms do I file?

Divorce without minor children packet

What if I cannot afford the filing fee?

Complete and submit the  Affidavit of Indigence and Eligibility to Proceed In Forma Pauperis.  A judge will decide whether or not you have to pay the filing fee.